+ Br. Gaudencio V. Mondragon, OP (1923 – 2013)

Picture: 
Body: 

The brothers paid their last respect to Br. Gaudencio V. Mondragon, OP, in a Funeral Mass celebrated last March 18, 2013, before the interment of his remains at the Santuario de Santo Domingo, the new resting place for the Dominican friars of the Philippine Province. Br. Tamerlane R. Lana, OP, the Vicar Provincial, presided over the Mass with Br. Jerry R. Manlangit, OP, Prior of Our Lady of the Rosary Convent, as the homilist.

Br. Gaudencio Villadelgado  Mondragon, OP, was born in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental on February 18, 1923.  He was the 8th child of Zoilo Mondragon and Teopista Villadelgado. Because of his good sense of humor, he was fondly called “Father Goody.”

Father Goody completed his elementary education at the Hinigaran Elementary School in 1935 and his secondary education at the St. Joseph Seminary, Dumaguete City, Negros Occidental in 1939. He attended classes at St. Vincent Ferrer Seminary, Jaro, Iloilo City, until the seminary was closed down in 1941 when the war broke. After the war, he joined the Dominican Order and was vested with the Dominican habit on April 5, 1946. He made his profession on April 30, 1947, and three years later, he made his solemn profession on the same date. He was ordained to the priesthood on August 28, 1952 by the Most Rev. Henry Valtorta, DD, Bishop of Hong Kong.

After his ordination to the priesthood, Father Goody was assigned to St. John Lateran Convent, Intramuros, Manila. For 13 years, he was the Director of the Boy Scouts of Colegio de San Juan de Letran (1952 – 1965). From 1966 to 1971 when he was assigned to Our Lady of the Rosary Convent, Manaoag, Pangasinan, he also served the same office in the Holy Rosary Academy (now Our Lady of Manaoag College).

Father Goody also did missionary works in the mission stations of the Province in the Babuyanes Group of Islands (now Calayan Group of Islands). In 1965, Father Goody was assigned to the mission station of Calayan Island and for a year, he was made Director of St. Bartholomew Academy, the parochial school being managed by the Province. From 1978 to 1985, he was assigned to the mission station of Camiguin Island where he served as Director of Lyceum of Camiguin, another parochial school being managed by the Province.

For a longest time, Father Goody was assigned to Our Lady of Rosary Convent where his good and jolly disposition earned him a special place in the hearts of the novices. In the same convent where Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag is enshrined, Father Goody passed away peacefully in the grace of our Lord last March 13, 2013 at the age of 90.   

(March 26, 2013)