Publication of a job opening for a Vice-Chancellor at the New Dominican University, Ibadan, Nigeria.
Work Title Vice-Chancellor
Organization Dominican University, Ibadan, Nigeria
Benefit Status Flexible/Negotiable
Months Per Year 12 Months
Proposed Start Date
Position Summary The Vice-Chancellor serves as the Academic and Administrative Head, the Chief Executive of the University. The Vice-Chancellor supports, guides, and coordinate the academic and research units and their support system in ways that foster the Dominican University’s mission and goals. The office of the Vice-Chancellor serves as the nerve center of activities in areas of protocol, external relations and coordination of various internal organs of the University. The Vice-Chancellor, in the absence of the Chancellor, presides over Convocation ceremonies for the conferment of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other awards of the University.
Position Summary Information
The Dominican University is a newly established Private University, founded by the Dominican Fathers and Brothers of the Province of St. Joseph the Worker, Nigeria and Ghana. The Vice-Chancellor exercises general academic supervision over the University and shall responsible for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the University. The Vice-Chancellor also manages the human, financial and other resources of the University and to see that the provisions of the Law, the statutes and regulations of the University are observed. The Vice Chancellor shall also see to the day-to-day administration of the University and he shall be responsible to the Governing Council for the management of human, monetary and other resources of the University and he shall ensure that the University complies with the terms and conditions specified by the Council for the use of funds. The person to be appointed to this position will hold office for a term of five years, subject to renewal for a final term of five years and no more, subject to satisfactory performance.
The ideal candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor will possess the following qualifications and characteristics:
(1) Ph.D. or equivalent (required) and reputable stature in the academic community.
(2) Significant experience in higher education or any tertiary institution (leadership role preferable)
(3) A good understanding of Catholic higher education, particularly the Dominican tradition of learning
(4) Commitment to inclusive and collaborative leadership that is characteristic of the Dominican tradition
(5) Successful leadership and management experience, particularly experience in strategic planning and managing and allocating financial and human capital
(6) Demonstrated ability to promote research excellence and demonstrated understanding of how to foster and sustain an inclusive learning environment
(7) Personal qualities that embody the Dominican virtues of assiduous study, patience, compassion, and love of truth.
(1) A Professor (Associate Professors will also be considered).
(2) A Dominican friar or any person familiar with the Dominican way of life and tradition of education.
All application materials should be received no later than January 23, 2017. Applications received after this date will not be reviewed. A complete application package includes the following:
(1) A comprehensive Cover Letter addressing how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
(2) Curriculum Vitae with 3 names of contact persons for reference
(3) A Writing sample
(4) Send all materials to Dr. Aniedi Okure, O.P. electronically at Okure@cua.edu. Please direct all inquiries also to Dr. Okure
(30 December 2016)